Join the FFR side event at the UN COSP 15
An international initiative “Emergency Response for Ukrainians With Disabilities by Fight For Right” will be holding the Side Event “Leading emergency response during the russian war in Ukraine: People with disabilities for people with disabilities” at the 15th Conference of States Parties to the CRPD. The event will take place on June 16th, 13:15 EST.
Yuliia Sachuk, the Head of the organization of People With Disabilities (OPD) Fight For Right, notes: «The russian war against Ukraine demonstrated that OPDs and people with disabilities are not willing anymore to be only objects of humanitarian aid but are equal partners in this process. Our expertise and knowledge of the context should be considered while developing any emergency response mechanism for people with disabilities. Despite both IASC and UNCRPD instruct for putting people with disabilities at the centre when building humanitarian and crisis response, the Ukrainian situation showed we are still not there. Learning and getting lessons out of Ukrainian experience is a must».
Speakers will cover the following topics:
- the main challenges Ukrainians with disabilities faced during the russian war against Ukraine including personal stories;
- FFR’s experience with the emergency response;
- the reaction of the global PWD community to support Ukraine and Ukrainian with disabilities;
- the main shortcoming of the current national and international emergency response mechanisms.
Speakers of the event:
- Yuliia Sachuk, Head of the Ukrainian OPD “Fight For Right”;
- Marcie Roth, Director of the World Institute on Disability;
- Shaylin Sluzalis, Co-Director of The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies;
- Ichiro Kabasawa, Executive Director, The Nippon Foundation;
- Tetiana Herasymova, Refugee, Case Manager Fight For Right;
- Iryna Tekuchova, PhD candidate, moderator of the event.
Register in advance for this webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89353978014
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Tanya Herasymova, project coordinator for activist group Fight For Our Right, said the lack of support available for Ukrainians with disabilities has made crossing the border for many “almost impossible”
This historic event pushed President George W. Bush to sign the law and end the segregation of people with disabilities the USA.
UKRAINIANS WITH DISABILITIES CALL ON STATE ACTORS TO PRIORITIZE PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES DURING WAR EVACUATIONS
The head of the Ukrainian organization of people with disabilities, “Fight For Right” was included in the list of the most influential and inspiring women in the world in 2022. Yuliia is one of the leaders of the Leader Europe program of the Obama Foundation, was a laureate of the 2020 National Human Rights Award, […]